The Words is the first volume of the Risale-i Nur and consists of thirty-three independent parts or Words, which explain and prove aspects of the fundamental matters of belief. These consist of such matters as God s existence and unity, the manifestation of the Divine Names and attributes in creation, the resurrection of the dead and the hereafter, prophethood, the miraculousness of the Qur’an, the angels, the immortality of man s spirit, Divine Determining (fate or destiny), together with such questions as the true nature of man and the universe, and man s need to worship God. Each subject is explained with comparisons and allegories, and demonstrated with reasoned arguments and logical proofs. The most profound aspects of the truths of belief, which were formerly studied only by advanced scholars, are explained in such a way that everyone, even those to whom the subject is new, may understand without difficulty. This work answers brilliantly the attacks made on the Qur’an in the name of science and philosophy, and demonstrates the rationality of belief in God and logical absurdity of denial. It shows too that man s happiness and salvation both in this world and the next lie only in belief in God and knowledge of God.
- This academic study is based mainly on the translation made by Şükran Vahide and spread all over the world. However, very important corrections have been made and all academic terms have been explained in footnotes. Although there have been translation attempts other than Şükran Vahide’s translation, we believe that this lady was employed by Allah in translation. There are academic and translation errors in other translation attempts. Readers could see many of them when they read our study.
- “Glossary of Islamic Terms in the Light of the Risāla-i Nūr” prepared by Mustafa Tuna and Erol Tahtakıran has been our main source while doing this study: “Glossary of Islamic Terms in the Light of the Risale-i Nur”. However, although the terms explained in the Risāla-i Nūr are explained in this work, academic and Islamic terms are not explained. If this work would not been done, our study would last at least more two years. We are thankful for them.
- We have benefitted from all sources in English, Arabic and Turkish. Especially from our work under the title “OSMANLI TARİH VE HUKÛK ISTILÂHLARI KÂMÛSU 2020” has been very important source for this academic study.
- After the entire work was done by us, it was edited and corrected by my esteemed brother Sedat Karakaş. He is Co-Editor in this study. We owe him out a lot of thanks.
- Since 99 per cent of the terms were in Arabic, Transliteration Alphabet has been used.
- Annotation has been written at the beginning of the Ḥāshiyah belonging to Badī’uzzaman.
- We preferred repeating the terms in certain places to putting a Concept Index at the end of the book. We thought that this would be easier for the reader.
- As it is the first edition, of course, there will be some mistakes. We would like to thank the readers in advance for informing us of these errors.